Dear Las Vegas Metro Chamber Member,
Let me tell you a story that’ll raise your blood pressure…
During the 2015 legislative session we in the State Assembly were just three votes short of stopping the largest tax hike in Nevada history…
Which included the creation of a new business gross receipts tax (“Commerce Tax”)…
A tax that also created a new “Nevada IRS” that every business in Nevada – including yours – is now required to report to even if you don’t owe the new tax.
One of the votes we thought we could count on to kill this tax was Assemblyman James Oscarson. But according to a post-session media interview, Mr. Oscarson admitted he changed his mind and voted to raise your taxes…
Because the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce asked him to!
And he wasn’t alone…
A number of legislators told me privately after the session ended that they only voted for the tax hike because the Las Vegas Chamber gave them the “cover” to do so. So thanks to the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce…
- You’re now paying more for your Modified Business Tax
- You’re now paying double for your business license fee
- You’re now paying higher sales taxes on your business purchases
- You’re now paying more for the registration fees on your company cars
- And you might be paying the new “Commerce Tax” even if you’re not making a profit!
Worse, the Chamber has already voiced support for a new sales tax on SERVICES in 2017 – and if history is any guide, it will likely support efforts to raise the cap on residential and commercial property taxes!
That’s why so many members of the Las Vegas Chamber have quit.
It’s also why I started the REAL Chamber of Commerce.
Businesses like yours and mine need protection…Real protection. We need a watchdog, not a lapdog. So unlike the Las Vegas Metro Chamber, our new REAL Chamber of Commerce…
- Won’t simply go along to get along
- Won’t “compromise” simply to curry favor with elected officials
- Won’t accept legislative table scraps simply for the “privilege” of sitting at the table
- Won’t accept a tax hike simply because it’s not as big as originally proposed
- Won’t accept burdensome business regulations simply because they aren’t as bad as originally proposed
- Won’t accept a $12 minimum wage simply because it’s not as high as a $15 minimum wage
- Won’t support candidates who don’t support business simply for “access”
- Won’t support “crony government” that gives favored businesses tax breaks at the expense of everybody else
- Won’t throw the small business community under the bus in favor of Big Business, Big Mining and Big Gaming
Here’s the thing…
As long as the Las Vegas Metro Chamber continues to be the largest business organization in the state, it will continue to have an oversized influence on legislators in Carson City.
And as we saw last session, that’s bad for you, me – and our bottom lines.
Why should you give your money to a so-called business organization that’ll
only use it to help the government take even more money out of your wallet?
Now here’s how to fix this…
With Las Vegas/Metro’s membership falling, all we need to do is build a larger, statewide membership organization that will actually represent all business and won’t bow down to the Carson City special interests.